By now regular readers will know that I’m completely and utterly obsessed with books and reading. It’s always amazing to find someone else who shares that passion and gets excited over character arcs and cover art.
But for some people books are too much like hard work, reading reminds them of being at school and they’d rather chill out with a film.
If you’re not a book lover, give reading another chance, after all, book nerds are some of the best people.
- We’re really easy to shop for at birthdays and Christmas, just buy us anything book themed. We would even be delighted by a book voucher because it means we can buy MORE BOOKS! Although – strangely – less bookish friends and family still struggle for gift ideas…
- Whatever the subject of the conversation, we’ve always read something relevant.
- If you want to keep us out of your hair for an hour, just give us a book.
- We come up with endlessly creative ways to store our books.
- Or we just pile them up around the house, which makes us seem fascinating and bohemian to anyone who might visit. Not to mention intelligent.
- Wherever we’d like to go in the world, we can always find a book set in that locale to satisfy our wanderlust.
- We have fabulous imaginations.
- You get more time with the remote control because we’re reading.
- We can read anywhere: on the bus, in queues at the supermarket, even walking along the street.
- Our ability to immerse ourselves so entirely in a fictional world/character/life that the right book can affect our emotions and outlook on life forever.
- We always have great book recommendations.
- Writers are our celebrities. We get ridiculously excited when we tweet one and they reply! Sometimes we become internet friends. That almost never happens with regular famous people.
- There is nothing sexier than a hot guy engrossed in a book you love.
- We finally gave in and got a Kindle so we don’t have to use up half your baggage allowance putting multiple books in your suitcase so that we can actually take some clothes on holiday.
- We are mystified by people who don’t read for pleasure.
- When you get excited about the film, we try not to say: “The book was so much better.” We usually fail.
- We enjoy speculating about who should play our favourite characters in the movie.
- We’re always learning random things from our reading.
- We find new passions and ideas through other people’s eyes.
- We live life feverishly within the pages of a novel and glimpse the wonders of the world from the comfort of our sofa.
So, what are you favourite book lover’s best qualities?