It’s Christmas time and that means many of us have spent the last few weeks getting into the festive spirit with our favourite seasonal music or movies.
I have to admit, I’m not a massive fan of Christmas films, but I do enjoy the occasional festive rom-com while I’m decorating the tree or wrapping presents.
One of the films I enjoy most is Love Actually, for its mix of bittersweet romance and cheesy comedy. It’s a film that doesn’t take itself too seriously, although I never fail to be sad for Laura Linney’s office worker when she misses the chance to realise her unrequited love, thanks to her troubled brother.
But that’s the one low note in a film that is pretty much guaranteed to make you smile.
Here are a few things that Love Actually can teach us about Christmas:
- There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus.
- There will always be ungrateful relatives who complain about their Christmas presents or the plans you’ve made. Don’t sacrifice your happiness for them.
- Make the effort to turn up for your child’s Christmas concert; you never know who you might meet.
- It’s okay to express your love for your best friend’s wife, because it’s Christmas.
- Parties with celebrities just aren’t fun without your best friend. Without the people you care about, your achievements don’t seem so sweet.
- Love overcomes all obstacles, whether it’s a language barrier or the fact that one of you is the Prime Minister and the other one serves the tea.
- This is the season to re-evaluate your life. If you’re not happy, change things. After all, American girls love English guys.
- Be warned: expensive presents always attract the wife’s attention, even if they aren’t meant for her.
- Christmas shopping takes long enough, without waiting for overly elaborate gift wrapping.
- The office party is a great place for romance and awkward dancing.
- And finally, at Christmas, all you need is love.
So that’s it folks, tomorrow is the big day. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones and Santa brings you lots of goodies!