As a writer, it helps a lot that I’m also an endless wonderer.
I get absorbed by random thoughts and concepts and like to follow them through, imagining how a certain scenario might play out and how it might affect the people involved.
This is how a new story is born.
But when I look back at the things I’ve written over the years, there are certain ideas that crop up again and again. These are the ideas that fascinate me and capture my imagination.
I’ve listed a few of them below:
- People who vanish and leave a void in the lives of others
- A life in books, or characters who read, write and are generally obsessed with literature
- North East England
- Reality and perceptions of reality, including those perpetuated by the media
- Intense, destructive relationships
- Dystopia and broken society
- Bleak landscapes and urban decay
Do you ever notice the same themes appearing in your work?