The internet is full of lists of things you should achieve by the age of 25 or 30 or 40 and I’ve seen many bloggers put together their own wish lists of things they’d like to do before their next birthday.
These can be a really fun way of getting an insight into someone, and writing one can help focus your goals for the coming months.
I recently came across a twist on the theme in this post from Sophie’s blog, where she talks about 30 things she achieved before her big 3-0.
I’m notorious for being hard on myself and not taking time to celebrate my achievements, so it seemed like a fantastic idea to sit down and think about some of the things I’ve done that I’m most proud of.
- Met and married a very special guy who I’ve been with for almost 15 years. And we haven’t killed each other over the dishes yet, so that’s a bonus!
- After years of saving, we bought our own house (and it’s pretty nice too).
- Got over my worries about how we would manage and bought a puppy. I’m so grateful we decided to welcome her into our family.
- Was asked to be a bridesmaid at the weddings of two of my closest friends.
- Got a first class honours degree…
- …and a Masters degree.
- Wrote two novels.
- Won a Northern Writers’ Award.
- Had my first novel shortlisted in Route Publishing’s Next Great Novelist award…
- …and my second longlisted in the inaugural Bath Novel Award.
- Took a year-long course in Mandarin that taught me the basics of reading, writing and speaking the language.
- Travelled to the two places I most wanted to visit, Iceland and New York, and have been to 19 countries in total.
- Joined Mensa at the age of eight.
- Passed my driving test first time out.
- Performed in several plays during school and college, including one that I wrote.
- Set up my own blog and managed it continuously for four-and-a-half years (so far).
- Got a job managing a team of five people.
- Gave one of those people the start they were looking for by hiring them into the team and watched them grasp the opportunity with both hands #proud.
- Worked on blog campaigns with John Lewis, Three and Travelodge.
- Went on two press trips – to Liverpool and Scarborough – thanks to this blog.
- Was interviewed live on local radio in my capacity as a blogger.
- Saw a post I published go viral and get picked up in the local newspaper.
- Was runner-up in the Arts and Culture category of the 2013 Blog North Awards.
- Was part of a team that won a silver CIPR award for a marketing campaign at work.
- Completed the Insanity programme – three times!*
- Spent a weekend on my own in London at a blogger event.
- Have had two temporary jobs become permanent positions after I impressed my bosses.
- Got a (small) bonus payment as a thank you for my work on a project at one previous job.
- Got an A* in my French GCSE.
- Read Dante’s Inferno.
- Rescued my blog after deleting it from the internet and managed to give it a facelift.
- Bought my ideal car – it’s only a Mini, but still, I couldn’t have imagined affording it 10 years ago.
I’d love to challenge you to put together your own list – which things are you most proud of achieving?
*In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that my husband scoffed when I told him I was including this one, because I may have cheated. Occasionally. But he can eff off cos it’s going on the list!!!